Our grant making is guided by three main themes

Since its formation in 1992, the Foundation has aimed to make a positive and lasting change to the lives of children and young people. Cherishing Children is still our largest focus area, although today our work stretches across three main themes:

  • Cherishing Children
  • Combating Cancer
  • Supporting Hospices

Every year hundreds of smaller one-off grants are made, helping hundreds of charities in the UK and abroad. We also make significant multi-year grants to some charities, covering salaries or the cost of a specific project in order to give the charity greater stability.

As part of our focus on young people, we also launched the national Sport for Good programme in 2012. The programme harnesses the power of sport to reach into the lives of young people in areas of high depravation or strategic need. You can find out more about the programme here.

Approximately 80% of the money raised goes to supporting UK charities, with the remaining 20% being allocated to charities overseas, particularly those helping children and young people to escape poverty, malnutrition and neglect.

Cherishing the Children

Cherishing the Children

This is our largest theme and is aimed at supporting disadvantaged and disabled young people under the age of 25.

Small grants of up to £10,000 are available to UK Registered Charities with an annual income of up to £1,000,000 (this income restriction does not apply to Special Needs Schools or Mainstream Schools with a Special Needs Unit). A small number of major grants are also available to UK Registered Charities with an annual income of up to £9 million.

Who do we support?

We work with charities working with young people under the age of 25 in a number of areas, including:

  • Young people with physical or mental health difficulties or life threatening or degenerative conditions
  • Young carers
  • Young people who are socially or economically disadvantaged

How do we help?

Our grants can help in a number of ways, including:

  • Grants for buying small capital items
  • Support for staff working directly or hands on with beneficiaries
  • Support for projects of direct benefit to beneficiaries

£1 million grant for The Percey Hedley Foundation

 

The best of friends: Jacob and Minta

 

Mama Laadi’s foster home: Afrikids

     

Funds awarded in 2017

£2,903,772

Upcoming events

Find a list of all our upcoming fundraising events for 2017 that the St. James’s Place Wealth Management Group community is organising. These events reflect the tremendous commitment that they show to the Foundation year and year.

London to Reims cycle ride 2012

Apply for funding

We aim to make a significant difference to the lives of children and young people. Any small charity that meets the criteria can apply for a grant from the Foundation.